SE&CR: ''17''; SR: ''FAV''; BR: ''73E''
An eastward view in the late 1970s shows gradual dismantling of the track work, after the shed's short spell
as a diesel depot. The shed of 1860 had been demolished by this time, but that of 1898 - although re-roofed -
remained in existence. The bay window to the immediate left of the former shed building was part of the Shed
Master's office, which the photographer reported to for his job interview in May 1968. Behind the struts of the
lattice footbridge can be seen the wagon repair shed. The line to Herne Bay and Margate curves off to the left.
© Roger Goodrum
25th February 2006
A wisp of smoke from Bulleid Pacific No. 34067 ''Tangmere'' floats across the front of the former 1898-built
engine shed, which sits within the triangle created by the Thanet and Dover lines. The roof, complete with
concrete lintel and trapezium cross-section, dates from around 1950. The side offices are on the immediate
left, hidden by the vegetation. © David Glasspool
25th February 2006
Looking a little worse for wear, but demonstrating considerable vintage, is the former wagon repair shed. The
locomotive turntable used to be situated immediately adjacent to this structure's wall on the opposite side. The
crème brickwork and orange window frames have blackened over time. © David Glasspool
10th June 2008
The station is in the background of this view, which shows the overgrown site of the demolished engine shed of
1860. The shed of 1897 can be seen emerging from behind the trees, complete with asbestos roof and window
frames, albeit without glazing. © David Glasspool
<< Previous Next >>
Return to the Kent Rail Homepage or alternatively, check for Updates.
Website & Copyright information - Links - Contact the Webmaster
All content is copyright © David Glasspool unless otherwise stated