The station building is the oldest piece of LC&DR architecture surviving today. In fact, it
dates from the opening of the first section of line between Faversham and Chatham, when
the company was called the ''East Kent Railway''. The structure is viewed on 11th March 2004.
A similar building existed at Faversham, but only until 1897, when that station was totally
rebuilt and enlarged. David Glasspool
The goods loops are observed on the north side of the island platform on 11th March 2004 - note
the lack of third rail on these. The sidings seem to see little use now, especially with the scaling
down of Sheerness Steel's operations since July 2002 (when the owning company went into receivership).
It was here that liquid oxygen tankers were usually stabled before being hauled to the steel works for the
smelting process. David Glasspool
Return to Index
Return to the Kent Rail Homepage or alternatively, check for Updates.
Website & Copyright information - Links - Contact the Webmaster
All content is copyright © David Glasspool