Shepherds Well
Colour aspect lights swept away most of the route's surviving semaphore signals in 1980, during
the Dover area signalling modernisation, but this single post example has fortunately survived.
The prominent white board behind the signal gives the semaphore's appearance greater clarity to
drivers, such an effect exemplified in the last picture on the previous page. There was subsequent
platform lengthening to accommodate longer electric train formations as part of the Kent Coast
Electrification of 1959. David Glasspool
A general northward overview of the station, seen from the footbridge, shows not only the
original station building and signal box, but also the original wooden waiting shelter on the
''up'' platform. Behind this shelter is a siding which formerly served the Tilmanstone Colliery:
passenger stock found its way into these lines when the coal operation ceased. These have been
reclaimed by nature in some areas, whilst the rails are severely rusted. A major structure missing
is the former goods shed, which used to reside in the area now occupied by trees, beside
the ''down'' line, immediately beyond the station building. David Glasspool
Another northward view from 3rd November 2004. On the far right, beyond the telegraph
posts, is the connecting line with the former colliery branch to Tilmanstone. This is now part
of the very interesting East Kent Railway and the main line connection is useful for stock
movements on to the preservation site (such as a retired 4 Cep unit). The siding behind the
signal box, on the left, formerly accommodated a line of coal wagons until the mine closed
in 1986. The siding is still in situ and connected to the railway, but is totally overgrown
once it reaches the platforms. David Glasspool
Return to the Kent Rail Homepage or alternatively, check for Updates.
Website & Copyright information - Links - Contact the Webmaster
All content is copyright © David Glasspool