Canterbury East


March 1979

Unrefurbished 4 CEP No. 7208 is seen from the signal box with a Victoria to Dover Western Docks service. As per the previous photograph, the "down" platform featured a line of "BRUTE" trolleys, once a familiar sight at British Rail stations. A single siding had then recently been lifted from the tarmac area on the left, behind the "up" platform. © David Glasspool Collection


11th March 1990

By the time of this photograph, the station finally sported canopy valances which had style, worthy of the historic city. The height of the walls on either side indicate where the former pitched-roof trainshed rested, and the "down" platform edge showed various stages of heightening through the years to accommodate the introduction of larger stock. 4 VEP No. 3447 has arrived with a service from Dover Western Docks, bound for Victoria. © David Glasspool Collection


11th March 1990

The Faversham to Dover route remained a pocket of semaphore signalling for many years, having escaped conversion during the Kent Coast Electrification Scheme. The "up" starter semaphore arm is seen on the left, as 4 CEP No. 1561 approaches with a Victoria to Dover Western Docks service. A track foot crossing at the London end of the platforms remains a feature of the station today. © David Glasspool Collection