Rochester Freight Depot & Chatham Sidings


17th July 1990

The outer walls of the ex-LC&DR goods shed were just about hanging on in this 1990 view and were soon to succumb, but rusty rails still passed through on either side. To the top right, in the distance, is Fort Pitt Hill, through which the main line passes in a 428-yard-long tunnel between Rochester and Chatham stations. © David Glasspool Collection


17th July 1990

The remaining operational sidings were used to store condemned wagons by this stage and had been fenced off from the rest of the yard, the latter of which had become somewhat of a dumping ground. Prominent on the left is the 1959-commissioned "power box", behind which is the spire of Rochester Cathedral. © David Glasspool Collection