Ashford

 


 

Platforms 1 and 2, in addition to the through tracks, remain without overhead wires, as seen

in this eastward view from 22nd June 2007. The Hastings diesel service, via Appledore, departs

from this island platform. David Glasspool

 


 

There were initially two approaches into Ashford from the west: the ex-SER trunk line from

Tonbridge, and the ex-LC&DR line via Maidstone East. By September 2003, a third station

entry from this direction became operational, when ''Section One'' of the Channel Tunnel Rail

Link opened. On 22nd June 2007, a Eurostar set is seen departing Ashford and embarking on

the CTRL exit. David Glasspool

 


 

Ashford: 3rd November 2004

Despite the transformation of the station area into an unrecognisable scene on two occasions, the

original SER works of 1846 have, amazingly, remained virtually untouched and are now listed

structures. The buildings are devoid of rail access, but one workshop is still in use for the restoration

of preserved steam locomotives. This is the scene over the works 3rd November 2004. The SER

four-road engine shed was located beyond the main buildings in the background. David Glasspool

 


 

<< Previous  Next >>

 


Return to the Kent Rail Homepage or alternatively, check for Updates.

Website & Copyright information - Links - Contact the Webmaster


 

All content is copyright © David Glasspool